As my kids have gotten a little older and a lot busier, I am always on the hunt for grab-and-go breakfast ideas. That first meal of the day is the one that tends to be the most rushed because, well, the snooze button. Cereal, toast with fruit, and oatmeal are great options, but what about those mornings that you have to get up mind-numbingly early? You need something that can be eaten in the car on the way to school while simultaneously tying shoes and brushing hair. Especially on Mondays, am I right? Enter Monday Morning Muffins!
I used to love muffins when I was younger. Warm, moist, sweet… and slathered in butter! When I looked around for a healthier version of my childhood favorite, I came across several contenders. The recipes looked good on paper, but would turn out too dense, too sweet, or way too heavy. I wanted muffins that used whole foods, were vegan (yay for licking the spoon without fear of salmonella!), easy on the sugar and oil, and chock full of fruits and veggies. So I decided to create my own!
My Monday Morning Muffins are hearty without being heavy. Everything is mixed in one bowl so they are a snap to make with very little clean up. Slightly sweet and super moist, these muffins contain lots of fruits and veggies yet are so delicious, your family won’t know what’s in them! Bake them up the night before, and in the morning you have breakfast on the run!
Monday Morning Muffins
- 2 ½ cups oats blended into flour (I did this in my food processor)
- ¼ cup ground flax-seed
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (not pictured because I forgot!)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBS vanilla extract (sorry, forgot that in the picture too!)
¼ cup melted coconut oil(I don’t recommend oil any more–here’s why)
- 1.25 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 apples, shredded (I used 1 green and 1 red)
- 4 medium carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line muffin pans with paper liners or silicone liners (my favorite!)
- In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk until well combined (first 8 ingredients). Add in the shredded apples, carrots, applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla and stir until combined. Fold in shredded coconut, raisins, and walnuts.
- Divide batter evenly into prepared muffin pans
- Bake at 400 for 12 minutes
- Lower heat to 350 and bake for another 12 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out mostly clean.
- Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack
- Lasts about 3 days in a container at room temperature or 5 days in the fridge
- Makes about 16-18 muffins
Do you have a case of the Mondays? Do you love muffins? Leave your comments below!