My husband loves BBQ Ranch Chicken Wraps. Almost every time we go out to American style casual restaurants, this is what he orders. While he hasn’t indulged in this craving since transitioning to a whole food, plant-based diet, his love for the flavor hasn’t disappeared. As a treat for him one night, I made BBQ chickpeas and he loved them. The hearty texture of the chickpeas and the tangy BBQ sauce totally hit the spot. We’ve added them to rice bowls, salads, and pizzas ever since. And it was good.
Then I came across a recipe for vegan ranch dressing with a hemp seed base from Raw Till Whenever. Life would never be the same. This ranch is the closest thing to dairy based ranch that I’ve ever tasted. I decided to use this Hemp Ranch to recreate my husband’s beloved BBQ Ranch Chicken Wraps. Winner, winner, chickpea dinner!
This meal takes all of 10-15 minutes with minimal prep and chopping. It is my go-to meal on nights when I have to get the kids fed and out the door by 5:30 for dance. The leftovers are fantastic for packed lunches, so be sure to make extra.
Why chickpeas, you ask? Let’s take a look at their nutritional profile.
Chickpeas: Comprised of 29% protein and almost no fat, chickpeas are a fantastic alternative to meat. They are full of digestive-aiding insoluble fiber and are packed with manganese, folate, and copper. Chickpeas are also a great source of non-heme iron, which is easily assimilated by our bodies.
This meal comes together in a snap and is great to wrap in plastic wrap and eat on the go (not while you’re driving. I NEVER do that…). Although it ups the time commitment to about 40 minutes, my kids love when I serve the wraps with oil-free baked potato fries, because carbs = life. The fry recipe is also, ironically, from Raw Till Whenever. Can you tell I really enjoy their recipes?
BBQ Ranch Chickpea Wraps
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or you could be fancy and cook them from scratch, but it wouldn’t be a 15 minute meal, now would it?)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (Stubb’s Sweet Heat Bar-B-Q Sauce is oil free)
- 4 whole wheat tortillas or your favorite wraps
- 1 roma tomato or a handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced/halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Place the chickpeas in a pan over medium heat with the BBQ sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Cook for about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the chickpeas from burning. You want the sauce to thicken a bit and the chickpeas to warm through.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, make the Hemp Ranch Dressing (below).
- To assemble the wraps, place spinach, tomatoes, and avocado slices in each tortilla. Add about ½ cup of the bbq chickpeas to each tortilla and drizzle with Hemp Ranch Dressing. Serves 4.
Hemp Ranch Dressing via Raw Till Whenever
- ½ cup Hemp Hearts
- ½ cup water
- 1 TBS Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp Agave Nectar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp dried dill
- Place all ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth. This will thicken up slightly as it chills, so make ahead of time and refrigerate if you desire a thicker ranch dressing.
Do you love the BBQ-Ranch combo? Leave your comments down below!
Full disclosure: This blog post contains some affiliate links. Meaning, basically, if you make a purchase from any of these links, I may make a little money. So thank you in advance for supporting my family 🙂