Rich, chocolatey, brownies. Who doesn’t love them? They are the quintessential American dessert. Moms make them for their kids after school, they are served with thick icing and sprinkles at birthday parties, and they are presented à la mode at practically every restaurant across the US. However, no matter which way you slice it, they are always baked with eggs, butter, and copious amounts of refined sugar. Even “veganized” versions still require heavily processed flour and many times oil to replace the eggs and butter. And we all know how I feel about baking. So how is one living a whole foods, plant-based lifestyle supposed to get that occasional brownie fix?
Make them with whole foods, of course!
4 ingredients, 1 common kitchen appliance, and less than 15 minutes gets you a batch of sweet Brownie Bites with an added nutritional punch! The base of hemp hearts gives you a hit of Omega-3s and protein while the dates lend an all-natural sweetness with a ton of dietary fiber. Raw cacao powder gives you all the chocolate flavor you desire as well as a powerful dose of antioxidants. If you’d like to learn a bit more about the full range of health benefits from hemp hearts , dates, or raw cacao powder, click those hyper links for information and even more recipes (you know I’ve got you covered, friends)!
These Brownie Bites are perfect for parties, potlucks, summer BBQ’s, and as a sweet treat in your child’s lunchbox. I love to bring them to gatherings so that I know my kids and I have a treat without causing stress on the host. I always make sure to make a double or triple batch so there is enough to share. No one ever guesses that they are 100% healthy! For kids’ parties I tend to make the bites smaller so they are “pop-able” and therefore, less messy. #momhacks
Once you finish the super easy brownie “dough,” you can customize these bites by rolling them in your choice of toppings. Shredded coconut, crushed nuts, and extra cacao powder make lovely toppings, but my favorite is fresh (or lightly dried) orange zest. Something about the citrusy orange zest with the rich, creamy chocolate just makes me happy. But, to each their own. You really can’t go wrong any way you roll them!
No Bake Hemp Brownie Bites
- ½ cup Hemp Hearts
- ¾ cup Medjool dates, pitted (about 9 dates)
- ¼ cup gluten free rolled oats
- 2 TBS raw cacao powder
- Optional toppings: unsweetened shredded coconut , cacao powder crushed nuts, orange zest, etc.
- Soak the dates in warm water for 5-10 minutes to soften. Drain well and add to the food processor bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor.
- Process on high until a dough ball forms, stopping to scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl if necessary. In my Ninja, this took about 25 seconds, no scraping required!
- Using a measuring spoon (1 TBS size), portion out the dough and roll into balls by hand and then roll in your choice of toppings. Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 5 days. Makes about 10 TBS sized bites.
Do you love brownies? Share your variations in the comments below!
Full disclosure: This blog post contains some affiliate links. Meaning, basically, if you make a purchase from any of these links, I may make a little money. So thank you in advance for supporting my family 🙂