We are still in the dog-days of summer, but I am already beginning to crave the flavors of fall. Sweet, savory, and warm, the flavors of fall tend to be deeper and more rich than the fresh, juicy flavors of summer. When I think of fall, I think of crisp apples, warming cinnamon and nutmeg, and the king of fall flavors, the pumpkin. Before we are even ready to break out the long-sleeves, pumpkin flavors/scents can be found in everything from candles to coffee.
The world is obsessed with pumpkin, and it’s easy to see why. This orange squash lends itself well to both sweet and savory dishes and packs some impressive health benefits. The drawback of the fall pumpkin craze is that most pumpkin flavored foods contain no actual pumpkin at all. In the off chance that the food does contain real pumpkin, it’s health benefits are negated by copious amounts of sugar, cream, and a cocktail of chemicals (I’m looking at you, Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte).
Pumpkin: Containing more than 200% of your RDI of vitamin A, pumpkins aid in protecting your vision, especially in dim lighting. They are also rich in heart and gut healthy fiber, containing 3 grams per cup. The carotenoids in pumpkin (and other orange-fleshed produce) have been proven to play a role in cancer prevention and skin protection. Additionally, pumpkins are high in immune-boosting vitamin C and blood pressure balancing potassium.
Is there a healthy and easy way to harness the power of the pumpkin without drowning it in sugar? Why yes. Yes there is.
Meet the 4 Ingredient Pumpkin Pie Pancake.
With four simple ingredients, you can create fluffy pancakes with a serious flavor and nutrient punch. So, I totally may be cheating here by using a whole-grain pancake MIX as one ingredient, but if it helps me get breakfast (or dinner in my case) on the table in under 20 minutes, I’ll let it slide on a technicality.
Unlike my Blender Pancakes, these pancakes have a more traditional texture and are banana-free for all you banana haters out there (maybe give this a read and you’ll change your mind about bananas). Also, these pancakes can be mixed up in one bowl in about 3 minutes flat, which means less dishes and more time to enjoy my family at the table. Score!
4 Ingredient Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
- 2 cups whole grain pancake mix (I love the mixes from Wheat Montana)
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups plant milk (I used 1 cup unsweetened almond milk and 1 cup coconut milk)
- 1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Place the pancake mix, canned pumpkin, plant milk, and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl and mix well with a whisk until combined.
- Heat a non-stick or lightly greased skillet over medium high heat.
- Pour the batter into the pan into desired pancake size (I made silver dollar size pancakes this time around).
- Cook for about 4 minutes or until bubbles form all around the edges.
- Flip the pancakes and cook for another 3-4 minutes until browned on both sides. *Tip: I keep the oven on the warm setting and place the finished pancakes on a cookie sheet inside the oven while I work on the others. That way all the pancakes are still warm when it’s time to eat.
- Garnish with your choice of berries, toppings, and syrup. Serve immediately. Serves about 4.
Orange you pumped for Autumn to arrive? I’m sure I’m driving you out of your gourd with all of these terrible pun(kin)s.
Full disclosure: This blog post contains some affiliate links. Meaning, basically, if you make a purchase from any of these links it doesn’t cost you anything extra, but I may make a little money. So thank you in advance for supporting my family 🙂