Statistically, January 17th is the day that most people abandon their New Year’s Resolutions. Yup. We give our healthy ambitions the ol’ college try for a whopping 17 days before throwing in the towel. If you’re like me and set smaller, more realistic goals for yourself this year, then you are still well on your way to a healthier 2017. Virtual high-five!
In baby-stepping our way to health, we instinctively know that green foods are good for us. Green juice, green smoothies, even green pastas! The more nutrient-rich green vegetables we can get into our bodies the better. And if we can do that in 20 minutes on a busy weeknight? Well that deserves a gold star, my friend!
This Simple Green Goodness Bowl is a snap to make from scratch on a weeknight and is endlessly customizable. Have kale instead of spinach? No problem. Your kids absolutely detest green onion but love peas? Toss them in! Pretty much any green vegetable you have in your fridge (or even freezer) will work in this dish and you can still get it on the table in less time than it takes Dora the Explorer to get to the “We Did It” portion of the show.
This meal is even perfect on those nights that you didn’t have time to meal prep because all of the veggies can be chopped and steamed in less time than it takes for the quinoa to cook! Now that’s what I call fast food.
Simple Green Goodness Bowl
- 3 cups quinoa, rinsed
- 6 cups water (or vegetable stock, if you prefer)
- 2 large heads of broccoli
- 6 cups of baby spinach
- 2 green onions
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha (or more to taste)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground mustard
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1/2” knob of ginger, grated
- Optional (for garnish): sliced avocado, sesame seeds, crushed almonds, cilantro, extra Sriracha
- Combine quinoa and water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and lower to a simmer. Set timer for 15-18 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop the vegetables. Cut the broccoli into small florets and finely slice the green onion. If using kale instead of spinach, you’ll want to finely chop that too.
- In another large pan or pot over medium high heat, bring 1/2 cup of water to a boil. Add the broccoli to the pot and cover with a lid. Steam for 3-4 minutes. Add in the green onion and spinach. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes.
- While the veggies are steaming, whisk together the coconut aminos, Sriracha, lime juice, mustard, garlic and ginger.
- When the spinach is wilted, remove the lid and let the water cook off (should take 1 minute or so).
- Once the water has evaporated from the veggie pot, pour in the sauce. Allow to cook for 1 minute, stirring well so the veggies get evenly coated.
- When the quinoa is finished, fluff with a fork and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, dish the quinoa into 4 serving bowls. Pour over 1/4 of the veggie and sauce mixture. Top with your choice of avocado, sesame seeds, crushed almonds, cilantro, or extra Sriracha. Serves 4.
How are you doing on your New Year’s Resolution? Are you still going strong? Share with us in the comments below!
Full disclosure: This blog post contains some affiliate links. Meaning, basically, if you make a purchase from any of these links it doesn’t cost you anything extra, but I may make a little money. So thank you in advance for supporting my family 🙂