I love Costco. They have a fantastic selection of organic produce at a great price. However, sometimes their package quantities are bigger than my family’s stomachs and we end up with more produce than we can eat before it spoils. Has anyone else been there?
I found myself in this precise situation the other day when I realized a 5lb bag of organic baby carrots I bought needed to be used up. So I decided to get creative. Beyond juicing or dicing and freezing leftovers, I love to take bulk vegetables and make big batches of soup. However, on this particular day, I didn’t have the time to hang out in the kitchen, necessitating the use of my trusty slow cooker.
And Slow Cooker Thai Curry Carrot Soup was born.
This soup is so simple but packs a flavorful punch. With just 8 ingredients (plus salt and pepper), it takes about 5 minutes to toss together in the morning before you head out the door. It features spicy aromatics like onion and ginger, but the star ingredient is the red curry paste. With components like red chili pepper, garlic, lemongrass, and Galangal (Thai Ginger), red curry paste compliments the natural sweetness of the carrots and sweet potatoes. Add a drizzle of creamy coconut milk and a squeeze of tart lime juice and you’ve got a wonderfully balanced and nutritious soup!
Slow Cooker Thai Curry Carrot Soup
- 1.5 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped (I used organic baby carrots from Costco)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 TBS freshly grated ginger
- 1.5-2 TBS Thai Red Curry Paste (use less if you are sensitive to spice)
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 3/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Juice of 1 lime (more for serving)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- Optional Toppings: raw pumpkin seeds, hemp hearts, roasted chickpeas, extra coconut milk
- Add carrots, sweet potato, onion, and ginger to the slow cooker.
- Take 1 cup of the vegetable stock and add in the red curry paste. Whisk until curry paste is fully dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Pour in the rest of the vegetable stock. Stir to combine.
- Place lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 4-5 hours until the carrots and sweet potato are fork tender.
- Transfer slow cooker contents to a blender (carefully!!). Add sea salt, pepper, lime juice, and coconut milk. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into bowls and top with your choice of toppings. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Full disclosure: This blog post contains some affiliate links. Meaning, basically, if you make a purchase from any of these links it doesn’t cost you anything extra, but I may make a little money. So thank you in advance for supporting my family I am not sponsored by any products or brands featured.